Beating the heat! Yesterday -- Saturday -- I took myself on an "artist's date" to the Art Walk in the Garden in Camrose -- organized by the Camrose Arts Society. I've been attending this event for years, including when it was inside assorted locations, when my friend Mary Wilton and I showed our collaborative exhibit, "Shamrock and Thistle", back in the summer of 2018.
Nowadays Mary's art is focused on wet-felted, quilted pieces -- largely landscapes and florals -- and they continue to be *amazing*. I'm blessed to own a couple, one of which was a gift from her. Her hubby Terry, aka T Wilton Dale, is an author *and* an improv pianist, and while his 'regular' gig is Saturday afternoons at 1908 Cafe in Camrose, for the Art Walk, he sits near Mary and entertains the artists and the viewers.
I went early today to escape the heat and smoke (yes; we have an air quality warning -- we didn't send *everything* down south... 😉) and visited 3 gardens. The first two were "side by each", and I found paintings, and hand-crafted mugs, and...art to wear. I fell hard for a hot pink hoodie. I don't generally wear hoodies, but my trusty sweatshirts are decades old and wearing out fast. This is a quality sweatshirt with a kangaroo pocket in front -- and a *glorious* original art print on the back. (Note: it also has "Chevrolet" trapuntoed on the front. Why? No idea -- but as our family cars when I was growing up were all Chevrolets, I'll take it as homage to my late departed parents!)
The piece de resistance, though, which really made my day, was a small piece crafted by Steve R. Mitts. He and his wife open their garden to the Art Walkers, and Mary and Terry grace the space with their art and music -- but Steve takes centre stage with his unique paintings on 100+ year-old wood scraps. I've longed for one this year, and today I put a tiny dent in my children's inheritence with this small piece: "View from the Cliffs".
It reminds me of Scotland, home of my paternal ancestors, and of the village of Kilsyth not far from Glasgow, from whence they emmigrated to southwest Quebec, and where a piece of my heart will always be. A Rennie I was born, and a Rennie I will always be. And yes, there are still distant cousins there in Kilsyth -- they operate Rennies Bakery...should you ever happen by. They don't know me from Adam...but they and that place hold precious memories for me.
And I'm thankful to Steve for the memories, however unintended, that his work evoked in me.
NOTE: Gentle Readers who follow me on Facebook may have already seen this post; however, I wanted to share it here too, for those who continue to read my weblog -- definitely a bit "old school" these days. 😉 I appreciate all of you! 🩷
No comments:
Post a Comment